AUSTRALIAN BOOK INDUSTRY AWARDS (ABIA)
2021 AWARDS SHORTLIST
The Australian Publishers Association have announced the shortlist for the 2021 Australian Book Industry Awards. From this shortlist, the category winners and the overall ‘Book of the Year’ winner will be announced at the premier event on the Australian book industry calendar.
The Virtual Broadcast of the awards will be screened on YouTube, Wed 28th April from 7.30 pm.
Selected shortlists appear below. For all the shortlists, go to www.abiawards.com.au
General Fiction Book of the Year
- The Dictionary of Lost Words, Pip Williams (Affirm Press, Affirm Press) *
- The Godmothers, Monica McInerney (Penguin Random House, Michael Joseph)
- The Good Turn, Dervla McTiernan (HarperCollins Publishers, HarperCollins Publishers)
- The Morbids, Ewa Ramsey (Allen & Unwin, Allen & Unwin)
- The Survivors, Jane Harper (Pan Macmillan Australia, Macmillan Australia) *
General Non-fiction Book of the Year
- Phosphorescence: On awe, wonder and things that sustain you when the world goes dark, Julia Baird (HarperCollins Publishers, Fourth Estate) *
- The Golden Maze: A biography of Prague, Richard Fidler (HarperCollins Publishers, ABC Books)
- The Space Between, Michelle Andrews and Zara McDonald (Penguin Random House, Viking)
- Un-cook Yourself: A Ratbag’s Rules for Life, Nat’s What I Reckon (Penguin Random House, Ebury Australia)
- Women and Leadership, Julia Gillard and Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala (Penguin Random House, Vintage Australia)
Literary Fiction Book of the Year
- A Lonely Girl is a Dangerous Thing, Jessie Tu (Allen & Unwin, Allen & Unwin) *
- A Room Made of Leaves, Kate Grenville (Text Publishing, Text Publishing)
- All Our Shimmering Skies, Trent Dalton (HarperCollins Publishers, Fourth Estate) *
- Honeybee, Craig Silvey (Allen & Unwin, Allen & Unwin) *
- Sorrow and Bliss, Meg Mason (HarperCollins Publishers, Fourth Estate)
Books marked * have been reviewed in these pages.