The shortlists for the 2021 Queensland Literary Awards have been announced.
The shortlisted titles in two of the categories are:
Queensland Premier’s Award for a Work of State Significance ($25,000)
- Car Crash (Lech Blaine, Black Inc.)
- Ordinary Matter (Laura Elvery, UQP)
- Biting the Clouds (Fiona Foley, UQP)
- A Question of Colour (Pattie Lees with Adam C Lees, Magabala)
- Change Machine (Jaya Savige, UQP)
Fiction Book Award ($15,000)
- Friends & Dark Shapes (Kavita Bedford, Text)
- Revenge (S L Lim, Transit Lounge)
- The Labyrinth (Amanda Lohrey, Text)
- Migrations (Charlotte McConaghy, Penguin)
- Song of the Crocodile (Nardi Simpson, Hachette)
The winners will be announced in a Facebook Live event hosted by the State Library of Queensland (SLQ) on Thursday, 9 September. Voting for the Courier-Mail people’s choice award is open is open until 5pm Monday, 16 August.
For more information about the shortlisted works and writers in each category and all the shortlists, visit the SLQ website.
Car Crash has been reviewed in these pages. To read the review, go to Car Crash by Lech Blaine – Queensland Reviewers Collective.