Miles Franklin Literary Award 2022
The longlist for the 2022 Miles Franklin Literary Award, worth $60,000, has been announced.
The twelve longlisted novels are:
- The Other Half of You (Michael Mohammed Ahmad, Hachette)
- After Story (Larissa Behrendt, UQP)
- Scary Monsters (Michelle de Kretser, A&U)
- Bodies of Light (Jennifer Down, Text)
- Echolalia (Briohny Doyle, Vintage)
- The Magpie Wing (Max Easton, Giramondo)
- The Dogs (John Hughes, Upswell)
- The Airways (Jennifer Mills, Picador)
- One Hundred Days (Alice Pung, Black Inc.)
- The Performance (Claire Thomas, Hachette)
- 7 ½ (Christos Tsiolkas, A&U)
- Grimmish (Michael Winkler, Puncher & Wattmann).
‘This year’s longlist, drawn from a robust pool of entries, reflects the thematic richness and the formal adventurousness of the contemporary Australian novel, as our writers respond to our times. Diverse in every sense, it extends from works of realism to novels in a more experimental vein, proving that the nation’s storytellers are continuing to test the boundaries of what the novel can do’ said State Library of NSW Mitchell Librarian Richard Neville, who is judging the 2022 award alongside critics Bernadette Brennan and James Ley, scholar Mridula Nath Chakraborty, and writer and editor Elfie Shiosaki.
The shortlisted novels will be announced on 23 June, with the winner to be revealed on 20 July.
For more information about the award, click here.